Saturday, July 23, 2011

Is The Glass Half Empty or Half Full?


Are you a glass half empty or a glass half full type of person?  I'm definitely the half full type.  I can see possibilities and hope in almost anything.  My husband, on the other hand, is the half empty type.  In fact I often say for him the glass is half empty and there's a crack in it and the rest is about to leak out!  Our opposite outlooks on life often lead to some interesting discussions. 

Case in point, my sister in low brought me a bench glider one day.  She'd seen it thrown out in the trash, and knew I'd love it.  (Having a fantastic sister-in-law is a treasure worth way more than gold!)  My poor husband was horrified.  First,  because it came out of the trash, and secondly because it was a putrid green color with pasted on sunflower stickers.

He carried on about how horrible it was, how hard it would be to get rid of it (it was made of metal and wood and very heavy!), etc. etc.  To him it was junk and work.  To me it was perfect.  I looked at it and immediately saw the perect bench to go beside my garden pond.  A good cleaning, a little pain and stain and suddenly that old ugly bench was beautiful again.  I still smile each time someone pauses to ask where I got the bench.  Saved from a landfill, upcycled into something useful, it's become a treasure that many people, including my husband, enjoy.

1 comment: